If you are looking forward to excellent opportunities as a freelancer or permanent designer, online presence in front of the employers is very important. The online portfolios are the only means to catch their attention. Now it is pretty tough to impress a person who cannot see your skills practically or you in person. They might chuck your name out of the list looking at the high payment rate you mention on the portfolio without knowing the quality you can produce. So cite the finest samples at the beginning and make sure that the portfolio is performing its best to impress the employers. As I have been a freelancer myself and now am into hiring them, I have few tips up my sleeve that can let you know about the employer’s perspective.
Who is going to look at it?
The first task for you is to identify who all are the potential viewers of your portfolio. There can be two types of visitors -Your employers and new clients. Sometimes your existing clients might also refer to your portfolio in order to find some more information or simply to refer you for another client. Now the most important thing that you need to know about these potential viewers is that they are very much efficient themselves and probably know all the small details of designing. Moreover they even get to see a number of portfolios everyday; hence they tend to find out an easy trick to shortlist the profiles. So make sure you win the game at the beginning because no one is going to give you a second chance as there are many competitors available to outperform you.
Steps to be followed
There are few simple steps that you need to follow to get optimum results from your online portfolio.
Feature your best products with price
The best of the works you have ever done in your life should be featured at the very beginning. Most of the employers will not have the time to dig through the entire portfolio and check out your best hands if they are buried under the long list. In fact they will definitely think about the reason why you were not able to rate your stuffs properly. This is also quite important to bait the employers with the price factor; so put the affordable prices at the top.
Explain the sample projects
You should attach a brief description about your role in the project that you accomplished. The portfolio must feature how your work aided in the presentation of the overall designs and how you met the requirements of the related client. If you were the only person to handle a great piece of work then make sure you mention that and take your lion’s share of credit.
Choose the right project
Not all the work you have done is suitable for the particular client or company you are planning to approach. Think like an employer and try to find out what type of work they are into and how much they will like the work you have included in the portfolio. Place the work samples in the profile which are somewhat similar to the one which an employer might think of submitting to one of his potential clients. If you can live up to their expectations and match their need then this is going to help you grab the job.
Package it simple but attractive
If you are packaging the portfolio attractively but the overlay is too heavy to be opened then the employers are probably going to reject it then and there. This is always much effective to keep the cover simple and concise. Put more emphasis on making the inside materials better and of good quality. It should be just one or two clicks away from the outer packaging.
If you are a freelancer…..
If you wish to get a number of freelance assignments then the website featuring your portfolio should be really detailed and attractive at the same time. In case a client has found you on Google and do not have any reference, they will be extremely critical about the samples. Still there are some simple ways to make a positive impression.
- The good and genuine testimonials often act like positive catalysts in the process of getting a project.
- The client list that you provide along with the portfolio should be an assurance for the new clients who will probably join the bandwagon. If you have worked with some of the brands or famous people then mention them prominently.
- The sample design you provide on the site should be professionally presented and perfect from all aspects. There should not be any silly mistakes, spelling or syntax errors.
- As some of the clients are not much sure about their requirements, you can educate and help them out with the explained packages on your site. Tell them in brief how each work sample can aid them.
- You can also provide assurance to the clients that you can improve their business and it is a complete package that you provide and the quality is going to the best as per the market standards.
- The contact details should be absolutely authentic and updated. Make sure all the links are working and all possible options to contact you are open to the clients.
- Finally check out if you have missed on any information that the client should know before working with you.
Step into the client’s shoes
You can be the best judge of own work only when you step into the shoes of the employer. Take a look at your complete portfolio and try to find flaws as many as possible and think what more you would have liked to see in an applicant’s profile. Understand the need of pleasant appearance of the portfolio and design it accordingly. If all these factors are present in your online designer portfolio, chances of getting response will be multiplied quite a few folds.